Monday, January 3, 2011

Jeffy loves Shirley


Okay, for those of you who think that Jeff is a nerd now - wow, you should have seen him in the mid-seventies.

One of the most popular Christmas gifts for Haislip kids around this time was a cassette recorder. Odd, though...I don't think I ever got one. Santa decided that I was more of an artistic type and frequently gifted me with Bic Banana markers  or paint-by-number sets.

Anyway, on Saturdays, channel 11 used to show Shirley Temple movies, and I can still picture Jeff with his tape recorder at the ready, his finger in position on the record button - all ready to go when Shirley broke into song and dance. Frequently the first few bars would be missed, but no matter. We all got to enjoy the songs over and over, long after Mom came in and made us turn off the television. Jeff would rewind and press play, and we'd hear Shirley singing all about animal crackers and lollipops and then we'd hear extended banging and tapping as she performed her dance sequences as the creepy men's or women's chorus sang in the background. It was way cool.

Come to think of it, I guess we were all nerds. Jeff must have been contagious.

1 comment:

Jo said...

I thought for a second that you were going to say this was a picture of you. I'm certain that, talent-wise, you left Shirl in the dust!