Saturday, January 1, 2011

Peanut Butter and Mayonnaise Sandwiches


No, the peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich was not invented by the Haislip clan - as seen by the pictoral image above I pulled off the internet. (What, you think I take photographs of my sandwiches after I take a bite of them? How sick do you think I am?)

In fact, many individuals have bravely indulged in this culinary masterpiece - in fact, several have even accessorized these sandwiches with bacon, lettuce, or even bananas. Even Jeff Smith, the famous Frugal Gourmet was known to snack on peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches. (Oh, wait. Didn't he die in prison? Scratch that. Bad example.)

Not that I eat them now. As a kid I didn't have the luxury to contemplate the relative grossness of foods that were available to me. It's precisely the reason I no longer eat ham hocks.

It makes me wonder, however, who in the world put these two condiments together in the first place and decided they would be tasty between two slices of bread. Was there some type of analysis - the creamy, slightly pungent taste of the mayonnaise coupled with the firmer, saltier texture of the peanut butter? Or was it some crazy accident - similar to the famed Reeses incident? Did a mayonnaise lover and peanut butter lover crash into each other while roller skating and then the rest was history? Sadly, I suppose only heaven knows how the creation came to be.

Perhaps another day we'll explore the delicious combination of peanut butter and syrup served up with saltines....now that's a culinary masterpiece....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's a subsitution for meat.

marcus religithoughts said...

PB % Mayo + red onion on toasted rye = Jayhawker sandwich..