Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Matching Dresses



There you go...the three prettiest Haislips. Disregard the decidedly unpretty one peeking out the window. I can't tell for sure because it's awful fuzzy, but I think that's Jeff back there.

I'm not sure how old I am in this photo - probably about ten. I think that's the year when I was sporting the shag hairdo. Not sure that was the best look for me, now that I look back on it.

Mom sewed a lot of our clothes, back in the days when it was more economical to do so. Often the three Haislip daughters sported matching dresses for holidays and the like, usually with fabric straight off the clearance rack. Hey, you gotta save a buck when you can, especially with four sons eating you out of house and home.

Gotta love the nautical-themed smock dresses here, eye-catching in that the sailboats appear to be sailing straight up on my dress and Mary's dress. That's actually an improvement over little Barbara's dress, where the boats are actually upside down. No wonder she was hiding behind us.

Usually Mom made herself a dress to match ours every year, but that wasn't the case this time around. Hmmm. Makes you wonder if she was playing some practical joke on us that Easter.

2 comments:

Mary I said...

I remember the matching dresses all too well. My mom used to make them for Krissi and I. I was the lucky one who got to wear them twice--mine first and then my sister's once it fit me. Thankfully, no sailboats though. :-)

Lisa said...

LOL! Luckily, I think this was the only sailboat-themed dress for us! Poor you, having to wear the the dress twice!